The UCL Academy is housed in brand-new, purpose-built accommodation on Adelaide Road in Swiss Cottage, North London.
The building is specifically designed to support the curriculum and pastoral structures that the school offers.
The Academy’s facilities include:
- State-of-the-art science laboratories and a science demonstration theatre for interactive lectures, experiments and talks by visiting academics from UCL;
- An engineering science suite, which will include workshops and technology and science labs (for electronics and for engineering physics) designed to give students the experience of ‘being engineers’;
- Suites of rooms for art, music and drama, including highly-equipped performance spaces;
- ‘House’ spaces, providing comfortable, welcoming places for students to eat together, and to use for informal study during breaks and before and after school.
Much of a student’s learning at the UCL Academy takes place in Superstudios – large teaching areas which have been specifically designed to provide the best possible facilities for students to use for:
- Classroom group learning
- Project-based work and pair work
- Work in small and large groups
- Individual, independent study
- Discussions and presentations
Take a look below at the initial plans for the building, designed by Penoyre & Prasad: